Loebichau was mentioned for the first time in the13th century as a moated castle. The old manor house dates back to the 16th century and was rebuilt in 1908.
The neo-classical castle was built in 1796/98 on behalf of Anna Dorothea of Courland. In the castle’s park stood a small theatre at that time. The duchess’ cultural salon had illustrious international visitors; the most famous among them was probably Tsar Alexander I. of Russia. Occasionally more than 300 guests stayed in Loebichau at the same time. The guests were free to time their day at the „court of muses“; and the highlight of the day was the tea time in the evening hours in the grand hall of the castle. Then there was time for small-talk, philosophy, poetry, dance and music – sometimes the guests played theatre plays themselves; also in the smaller castle Tannenfeld, close to Loebichau.
As a result of the East German land reform in 1945 the manor’s owners were expropriated. The castle and the economical buildings were strongly modified after 1945. The buildings are housing a nursing home since DDR time. In 2009 the castle and the manor house were pulled down to make room for a new nursing home building of the operating company from Schmoelln. The remaining economical buildings are restored and host the communal administration.
A part of the museum Burg Posterstein’s permanent exhibition is dedicated to the court of muses in Loebichau and the museum has published the following books, which can be bought in the museum or ordered per e-mail to email@example.com:
Das Rittergut Vollmershain, vermutlich eine ehemalige Wasserburganlage, wurde im 12. Jahrhundert erstmalig erwähnt. Im Jahr 1580, beispielsweise, befand sich das Anwesen in Besitz von Otto von Weißbach. Neben dem Besitzer selbst „mit Schreiber und Reiter“, lebten zu dieser Zeit sein Bruder Wolf von Weißenbach mit „Praeceptor“ (Hauslehrer), seine Frau, fünf Kinder, drei Mägde und zwei Knechte auf dem Hof. Die Besitzer von Vollmershain wechselten später aber häufig. Lange Zeit befand sich das Anwesen in Besitz der Rittergutsherren von Posterstein.
Nach Bränden und Umbauten im 19. Jahrhundert ist das ehemalige Rittergut Vollmershain heute als vierflüglige Hofanlage erhalten. In der DDR nutzte die LPG (Landwirtschaftliche Produktionsgenossenschaft) das Gut. Nach 1990 erwarb die Altbesitzerfamilie den Hof zurück.
Eine interaktive Karte über die Rittergüter im Altenburger Land finden Sie hier: http://tiny.cc/o27p6.
Lesen Sie mehr über die Rittergüter des Altenburger Landes in unseren Publikationen, die Museum gekauft oder per Mail an firstname.lastname@example.org bestellt werden können:
Vollmershain manor, a former moated castle, could for the first time be documented in the 12th century. In 1580, for example, the manor was owned by Otto von Weissbach. Besides the owner “with writer and horseman” (as cited in the documents), his brother Wolf von Weissbach with “praeceptor” (tutor), his wife, five children, three maidservants and two farm labourers lived there. The manor’s owners shifted quickly during the following decades. For a long period it was owned by the landlords of the neighbouring castle Posterstein.
After fires and reconstruction works the manor today is conserved as a four sided farmyard, which is typical for the region. During DDR-time the farm was used by the LPG (East Germany’s collectivised farms). After 1990 the former owners bought the farm back.