The former moat was mentioned for the first time in the 12th century. In succession of the land reform in 1945, the owners had their manor expropriated and the land was divided. In 1946 there still were damages through the Red Army. In 1948 the outbuildings and the new manor house were pulled down. That’s why there are so few buildings remaining today. Besides the stronghold lake with a little island, the old manor house from 1842 is still left. Today it serves as administration building for Nobitz municipality.
Two thirds of the mediaeval moated castle and church, dating back to the 12th century, still were surrounded by water in 1800. At this time there still existed a four winged access yard and a castle from 1686/87. During the centuries the castle was owned by a great many of dukes, earls and even princes. In the first half of the 19th century, Poelzig was owned by the brothers Prince Ernst and Prince Albert of Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha. The latter was married to Queen Victoria of England.
After a few fires, the access yard and a mausoleum with a half-round altar niche were re-build. In 1936 the castle’s tower was blown up and the castle’s walls except for the still existing first floor were broken off. Only three years later the manor’s owners were expropriated because of the land reform in 1945. As a consequence of that the manor house, the access yard, the barn and the brewhouse were broken off. Today only the castle’s ruin, the gate lodge, the washhouse, the bakery and the carriage house are remaining, as well as parts of the cots for horses, cattle and sheep.
View the about 60 manors of the county of Altenburg on our google map.
Read more about castles and manor houses in Altenburg region in the following books, which can be bought in the museum or ordered per e-mail to email@example.com: